Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Common Cold? or Sinus Infection gone bad?
Breezy101 posted:
It all started about last Friday when i got an Otitis media (middle ear infection) which i had a couple months ago and it started an Sinus Infection. Well it started getting really bad so i took Dayquil Sinex caplets to alleviate the pain in my left ear and i would feel better for about 4-5 hours until i would have to take another 2 caplets to get rid of the pain again. Well i woke up the next morning (Saturday) with no signs of pain or a Sinus infection but i can tell i was getting something bad because my throat felt like it was swollen but i never saw a doctor about it so i took Dayquil during the day and nyquil to fall asleep. Later that Saturday night i had a pain under my left cheekbone which is a sign of a Sinus Infection but i was pretty sure i was feeling better. Woke up Sunday with no cheekbone pain or anything that could be Sinus Infectious worthy but i did notice that my nose started to get congested and it could be Sinusitis or just a Common cold. Monday i woke up way worse. I had a terrible cough with green phlegm coming out, my nose was waaaay too congested and i just felt like crap. Right now its Thursday and i have a terrible cough and running nose about to go see a doctor before this gets out of hand. What can it be?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
You may be correct....you definitely could have a sinus infection. It is not uncommon for a person to have both a middle ear infection and a sinus infection at the same time. Of course, is it going to take a hands-on medical examination to make the proper diagnosis, so i agree that you should see your doctor. As you may know, I cannot blindly diagnosis you with any certainty over the Internet.

Many sinus infections are viral and will self-resolve over time (a week or so), but some will develop a bacterial component and may need antibiotics.

Helpful Tips

Sharp pain in left ear lob cartiliage
After the last 24 hours of excruciating pain and having tried Tylenol Regular and Sinus and heating pads, this morning I took Aleve as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.