Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
ENT appt today- question
nic14120 posted:
Hello,
I was seen by my ENT today due to dizziness I have been feeling after recovering from the stomach flu last week. Since Fri I have been having waves of dizziness that occur any time of the day, no matter what I am doing. He said my ears/eyes/look fine, no neuro concerns that he sees. He said he thinks my inner ear was affected from the virus and feels it will heal in time.

Does this sound like a possibility? If so, how long should I expect this fizziness to last? I am training for a 5K in spring, and need to jog again, will that be ok? Thank you for your time!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
That is a million dollar question.....

Healing is an individual process, so it would be impossible to determine how long it would take you to get better. If your doctor is correct about an inner ear viral infection (called labyrinthitis), you should be feeling better in a few weeks, however, the dizziness can return (usually not as bad as the first bout) for a year or more. The extent of the damage in the inner ear caused by the infection cannot be determined on examination.

Only time will give you that answer, so just do the best that you can. Did the ENT give you any medication for the dizziness? If you need help, you will need to call him. As far as jogging again, that depends on how dizzy and unstable you are. This is another patient-specific question that only your ENT should address.

nic14120 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank you, Dr.
He kept saying "hmmm, I am not sure". In the end he said it could be the virus affected my inner ear. He didn't mention it being infected possibly, just that me being sick could have caused this. He definitely did not say labyrinthitis, he used another word (that I can't recall). He did offer a antivert, but I declined because he said it causes you to be sleepy.

nic14120 replied to nic14120's response:
Also, my mother has been diagnosed with a benign tumor on her brain. It is possible that the pressure from throwing up could have brought fwd the same for me? She too experienced dizziness, and it worries me. This is my first time experiencing dizziness and I am not one to get many headaches...

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to nic14120's response:
There are literally HUNDREDS of causes of dizziness, involving nearly every body system. In most cases, it is not even possible to find the source(s).

I don't think the pressure from throwing up caused the dizziness...the dizziness, nausea and vomiting is part of the "package" for vertigo.

Call your doctor and ask the name of that diagnosis. Did he say Meniere's disease?

nic14120 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Hello, and thank you again for your time.
I called my ENT's office and they said he dx it as: Vastibular Neurotis. Do you know much about this? Is it possible for me to not show signs of a sinus infection, but for my sinuses to be creating this? I just find it odd that I don't show signs of a inner ear infection, and how a stomach flu could impact my inner ear

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to nic14120's response:
Here is an easy-to-read resource for you....

http://vestibular.org/labyrinthitis-and-vestibular-neuritis

The condition can occure WITH a sinus infection, but it would not be caused BY a sinus infection.

The stomach flu does not cause an inner ear infection.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

i
mine feels the same way and im kinda scared that it could be throat cancer but i dont know the doctor said i dont have strep throat but it ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.