Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Extremely random tinnitus?
RyanCordani posted:
About 1 - 2 month ago, I was given beta blockers for my anxiety and I started taking them happily. Also at this time, I was cleaning my ears out almost everyday with cotton buds (stupidly ignoring my mums advice not to). Then one night I was sat on my computer and my ears had the sensation of feeling very full and numb. Then the ringing came, it was very loud and felt like a reaction to something bad. It subsided from something I could hear over everything, to something I could hear only in a quiet room. Then I went to sleep and woke up with a static like noise in my right ear which was a bit louder then the one I usually hear, I continued taking the beta blockers as I took into consideration that they might have caused it. Then about a 1 week later I heard a kind of sh noise then the static went, like the pressure had evened out. Then my ears were perfectly fine and then I got a cold which made my ears go all funny for about a week then the static came back as I was recovering and then slowly turned into a light ringing, then a mild ringing which I could hear even outside and then I went to sleep last night after putting small droplets of warmish water in my that made it feel unblocked and the tinnitus subsided a bit. I could hear clearer. Then I woke up which is now and the ringing has subsided a bit I think. I'm just so confused as to what going on. I'm only 17 if this helps and I've got a doctors appointment soon.

Thank,

Ryan

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
There can be many different causes of tinnitus (ringing), Ryan, but beta-blockers are not listed as a drug that causes it. There are many other drugs that do, however.

At age 17, a more common causes -- especially in people who use cotton swabs in their ears -- would be a wax impaction; wax is packed against the eardrum. Exposure to loud noises/music, depression/stress/anxiety, grinding your teeth at night (bruxism), are a few other causes that could be contributory in your age group.

You medical provider can quickly determine if a wax impaction is implicated, so give up those cotton swabs.

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.