Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
flu
tcrowell posted:
My 11 year son had the flu and is just now getting over it but still is congested. My oldest son which is at his dad's has got the flu and I am scarred to send my 11 year old over because I don't want him getting it again. So can my son get the flu again if he goes over there?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
There are several types of influenza (TRUE influenza, not just bad colds), and three types that are causing most of the lab-confirmed cases. Since you don't know what type your 11 year old had, or the type that your old son has, it would not really be possible to determine if he was susceptable. I am assuming that this "flu" was self-diagnosed, so keep in mind that neither one of them may have had influenza (unless they were lab tested), but may have had one of over 200 different respiratory viruses that can cause symptoms that are similar to the flu (but not a severe).

tcrowell replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank you very much for your response. I did not self-diagnose my 11 year old I took him to the hospital were they took a nose swab and blood work. They did not tell me what kind he had and I don't know what kind my oldest has. I kept them away from each other anyways this weekend I didn't want to take that chance even though I was very sick Friday night and Saturday myself. I don't think I had the flu just a sore throat, cough, a little fever, and a real bad headache. Thanks again for your response.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to tcrowell's response:
Call the lab and get those results first-hand. You paid for the tests, so you deserve to know the results.

Remember that influenza is contagious a day BEFORE you know you have it, so many people have already shared the virus for a day. Of course, not every exposed person will get it....only the unlucky ones, and usually the ones that never got around to getting the flu vaccine this season.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.