Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Neti pot usage with ear inflamation
An_249848 posted:
I have inflammation in my right ear which I can especially feel when I move my jaw from side to side. I went to see an ENT doctor about it a few days ago. He said that I had been picking at it too much throughout the years, which had caused the eardrum to be inflamed.

He advised to try not to get water inside the ear for a couple of months, so no swimming and wearing waterproof earplugs when showering.

I get congestion quite regularly, through dust/pollen allergies and find that a Neti pot works very well. I forgot to ask the doctor if I can still use the Neti pot or will it effect my ear problem?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Based on what you have shared about your ENTs words, you issue is in the externa ear canal....not really the middle ear, so I don't really see a problem with you using the Neti Pot. I don't personally recommend it patients, mostly since I can't imagine ever doing it myself, but I also do not pooh-pooh it. Many of my patient use it and like it, so more power to them.

Keep in mind that your ENT knows you and your case, so don't hesitate to leave a message at the office to ask the Neti Pot question to them as well.

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.