Includes Expert Content
flu and flu shot
quilt_mimi posted:
help
had the flu shot in oct. but have had 2 diffrent kinds of flu. one headache and sleepyness for 36-48 hours felt like i was going to get fever but never did. left me with a cough.
than three weeks later my husband came down with a fever cough cold symptoms legs and back hurt. 100 fever ( he had a flu shot too).. this lasted 7 days. very weak. now after a week of him having it i am have it day three..
are these different types of flu??? i am sure if i didnt get the shot this would have been 10 times worse, but gee i am sick of this... anyothers going around....

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
The accuracy of people (and even some medical professionals) in diagnosing "the flu" based solely on their suspicion and clinical symptoms is really not very good. If everyone who claimed that "got the flu" actually "got the flu" we would be having a major pandemic.

There are a few hundred upper respiratory viruses that can make you feel very lousy, too.

A relatively-accurate test for the true flu -- Influenza A or B -- only takes ten minutes and a nasal swab, but a surprising number of clinicians don't use it. I certainly do.

This year's flu vaccine is a good match (unlike some previous years), so you are probably well protected against the three major circulating strains this year, but the flu vaccine will do nothing to protect you against those 200 other viruses that can cause similiar (although not as severe) symptoms.