Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
My arm hurts
An_249886 posted:
I had gotten a flu shot on 12/12/12. The nurse put the needle in the top of my shoulder and I could feel the top of my hand go numb. Later that day my arm started hurting. By that night I couldn't hardly raise my arm. I always get a flu shot never have I had pain like this. By the end of the week I couldn't sleep it hurt so bad. Finally, I went to the Dr. because pain was so bad. She gave me Methylprednisolone 4MG dose pk. I am on the 3rd day the pain is almost gone. I hope it does not come back. My shoulder still pops and cracks. She also gave me Diclofenac 75MG and Hydrocodon-Acetaminophen but I haven't taken the last 2 yet. I'm not big on taking medication. I wonder if the pain will come back after I finish the steroid pack.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Yes, that is possible. Inflammation in the nerves caused by an improperly adminisistered injection can return when the medication is completed. You may need to take it longer, or if you are lucky, the pain will be nearly gone and soon, forgotten.

Warm compresses (or a hot bath) can also help, and make sure to keep that arm moving.

Rchilders replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank You for the information. I will try the warm compresses. I have also been using muscle rub(like Ben Gay) it has also helped me be able to move my arm better.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Rchilders's response:
You are welcome. I hope that you feel better soon.

Helpful Tips

Ear and allergies
For what it's worth, my brother has been getting allergy shots for a year and the ringing in his ears has stopped..... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.