Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Pain and swelling after flu injection
bunny1944 posted:
Six weeks after having my flu injection and experiencing pain and swelling in my arm, I went to my Doctor who diagnosed tendonitis + infection. Apparently the nurse had injected the vaccine into the tendon! He has put me on very strong antibiotics for two weeks and hopefully things will improve. I was surprised when he asked if he could take a photo of my arm - not sure why.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Antibiotics do not help tendonitis, so your doctor must have considere "cellulitis" (an infection) as a clinical possibility. Tendonitis is treated with anti-inflammatory medications; not antibiotics, so there is more to the story.

You would have to ask him why he wanted a photo of your arm. Perhaps it is to document the locaion of your flu injection....just a guess.

bunny1944 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Your comment about cellulitis was interesting as a close friend of mine said the same. When I think of how I was taught to give injections and their technique now, dartboard style, it makes me shudder. How long would cellulitis take to clear up as I am due to go skiing in 10 days and my arm and shoulder are still hurting quite badly. I have to say the Flucoxicillen makes me feel so tired, maybe a side effect.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to bunny1944's response:
Cellulitis, assuming this is what your doctor thought you had, should clear up with the proper antibiotic, but unfortunately, I have no idea if you are on the right one....never heard of Flucoxicillin.

Helpful Tips

Ear and allergies
For what it's worth, my brother has been getting allergy shots for a year and the ringing in his ears has stopped..... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.