Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
I've been sick for three weeks...
An_249903 posted:
At first though it was just congestion so I took some Mucinex and that seemed to help until I woke up last week and my glands were swollen. It looked like I had swallowed golf balls, my right ear was throbbing and I couldn't swallow at all without extreme pain. I went to the doctor the next day and she gave me Penicillin but that hasn't helped at all, my glands are still swollen, my ear and throat are still in a lot of pain. I haven't been able to eat anything for 7 days now and I've barely been able to drank anything, less than a bottle of water a day. A few days ago I got these white spots in my mouth as well and now its in the same amount of pain as everything else, I can barely open my mouth. I can't afford to go to the doctor again until next week when I get paid because I don't have insurance. My mom wants me to go to the emergency room because she's worried that if it is strep like the doctor said it could get in my bloodstream, and I just want to feel better so I don't care what I have to do now.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
You do have to be examined again. Strep is one possibility, but penicillin would have helped. Since it did not, Strep is less likely. I don't know anything about you, but one very distinct possiblity would be viral infections called MONONUCLEOSIS (Mono). This is going to take a special blood test called an EBV panel to confirm, so your medical provider would need to order it from the lab.

Nbarber0121 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
I did go a different doctor this time and it is Mono so she told me to just sleep a lot cause that't apparently the only way to get over it but thank you.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Nbarber0121's response:
I am so pleased that you were properly diagnosed. You should start feeling better soon, but a full recovery from mono can take a few weeks or more.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.