Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Nasal swelling and Nasonex
Alyssa_H86 posted:
I came down with the flu that became a really bad cold about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I wanted to be seen quickly so I went to the NP in my town and she said to take some MucinexD and gave me antibiotics incase I had a sinus infection. A week later I was not feeling much better and could not sleep at night without my left nostril plugging up. It was horrible.
So I scheduled an appointment with my doctor and she checked the inside of my nostrils and saw that (especially on my left side) the membrane inside was really inflammed. She told me she thought it may have been an allergy causing the rhinitis on top of the cold. So she told me to take a Claritin every morning and gave me a sample of Nasonex to reduce the inflammation. I also noticed that my ability to smell, especially on my left side was lacking. I noticed I was not able to smell as well as I normally can. She told me this was more than likely due to the inflammation.
My question is can nasal infammation (rhinitis) cause a reduced sense of smell? And would you recomend Nasonex for this problem? Is it safe? The lack of smell is really worrying me, I can smell, just not quite like I normally can. I hear people all of the time say that they cant smell well or taste very good when they have a bad cold. This has never happened to me.

Alyssa_H86 responded:
Also, I'm 26 years old and a female. I've never really had allergies before, but I do know that the cold this season is really bad. Just thought I would mention this as well. Thank you for whatever info you can provide!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Smell and taste are neurologically linked, so people who are having problems with one, will often have problems with both.

Nasal inflammation can definitely cause problems with smell. Using Nasonex is fine...very safe, and it does help reduce nasal inflammation over time (a week or so). Your sense of smell should return, assuming the problem was caused by a cold (viral infection). Colds can last a week, assuming you don't get another cold before the first one goes away.

Alyssa_H86 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate it. I've always been a little wary of nasal sprays. Thanks again.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Alyssa_H86's response:
Not to worry. Nasonex can be safely given to two year olds

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.