Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Which is eliminating sore throat and cough: hydrogen peroxide or Halls?
prrprr posted:
I have struggled with a sore throat/cough for a month now, and a cold for a week or so in the middle of that. Finally, I got some Halls "triple soothing action" cough drops with menthol (as the active ingredient). At the same time that I started taking the Halls, I took wifey's advice and started gargling twice a day with hydrogen peroxide. [br>[br>Now my sore throat/cough is getting MUCH better, so I'm pretty sure that it was one of these two, but of course I don't know which. I could just only do one, and see if I continue to recover or fall back, but I'd rather not take the risk of continuing to be sick (I am sick and tired of it, no pun intended), so do any health experts here have an opinion?[br>[br>Which would be the one that finally got my cough and scratchy throat under control, Halls or hydrogen peroxide?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
May have been neither one....

Most of these illnesses are viral and self-limiting in about a week. People who have illnesses that are lasting longer (like a month in your case) are often victims of back-to-back viral illness or viral illnesses that are overlapping. At some point, you challenged immune system will eventually come through and get you better.

The only thing that can be done for most viruses is symptom control. The Halls soothed the irritated throat, and the peroxide....well, I am not sure how much the peroxide had to do with your recovery, so my vote for the Great Healer in your case would be TIME.

prrprr replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thanks for the reply.

I was surprised to hear you say that you weren't sure how hydrogen peroxide might have helped my throat.... doesn't it kill germs/bacteria/etc.? Or does it do that, but just not the virii that caused my throat ailment?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to prrprr's response:
Well, hydrogen peroxide may help.....a little...but it is far from a panacea when it comes to killing germs. As matter of fact, it can also damage sensitive tissue. For this reason, I don't recommend it for gargling. It's okay to rinse a mouth (if you can tolerate the taste/smell) or perhaps loosen impacted earwax, but that is about it. Peroxide is an old, old treatment, but we have much better and more scientifically proven antimicrobials now. Peroxide requires an extend CONTACT to kills pathogens, so unless you can leave it in place long enough, it's not going to be that beneficial. If you think it helps...use it, but the jury is really out on it's effectiveness.

OK, you've convinced me that its most likely not the cause of my cure.

But since we're on the topic, I've been using it to treat cuts for myself as well as my girls (before a bandaid goes on). Is there anything else (that's reasonably cheap, and easy to apply) that you'd recommend that I use instead? I always thought that this was a major germ-killer; I'd like to use something else if there is another product that is better for this.

Betadine is better, but for minor superficial abrasions and cuts, you can use peroxide. Deeper cuts....no.

OK thanks for your time.

You are very welcome. Incidentally, my (adult) kids bought me a model rocket a few year ago. It runs on hydrogen peroxide!

Helpful Tips

Most People with a penicillin allergy can safely take cephalosporinsExpert
Medical providers have always been taught that if you are allergic to penicillin, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 61 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.