Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
My Throat Lately
alwaysworried20 posted:
What Im most worried about is my throat and mouth. It has a layer of yellow, white coating, and it is very veiny. I have never seen this before in my, and I'm constantly worried about it. I got scratched by a dog about 3 months ago, and I was wondering if that has any correlation to what I'm experiencing in my throat. I read a lot about rabies on the internet and now I'm afraid I may have it. I went to a number of doctors after the scratch and they all said I was fine, and that I would have died by now. But what if they are wrong, and its too late?

I have a runny nose with clear mucus, and a mild cough. My stomach has been acting up lately, I feel bloated and full no matter if I burp or use the bathroom it just does not help. The only meds I've been taking is Ibuprofen and Benedryl. Please help me.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
You don't have rabies. Rabies is just about 100% fatal quite quickly and you don't get it from a dog scratch. You can give up this fear.

I can't see your throat to offer a patient-specific comment. Your description is really not sufficient, so since you are so worried about the appearance of your throat, I would suggest that you SEE an ENT -- a throat expert -- and be properly examined at this high level. Then....you will have your answer and not have to worry so much.

People who have allergies or get frequent colds (or even reflux) can have a throat that looks like "cobblestones". This is really lymph tissue. It can look a bit yucky, but it can be "normal". Since I can't see it first-hand, I can't make that call, so you have to take the next step and see an ENT.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.