Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Hi, Dr. M: Need advise--you see all things I'm sure, and hope you can enlighten me on this!
yanksgirl posted:
Well, if my 'Meniere's ' symptoms weren't enough! I have a 'flare up' of a neck condition (chronic) and it acts up maybe twice a year and gets better with ice/heat and exercises. I had it diagnosed as a bulging disc a few years ago at 2 levels in the neck.
My primary has me on Celebrex and sent a pain killer when it was bad about 3 weeks ago. That helped and I thought it was ok.

Now I have one finger (pointer finger) numb, like it's asleep that is driving me crazy! Don't laugh
Really, it can get very 'uncomfortable' at times.

It's only numb underneath and up the sides and occasionally the base of the thumb and the lower part of the middle finger follows, but this one finger is 'bad'!

I have Raynaud's so thought that was 'it' but all the fingers respond to an attack with it, and this is just the one!!

. I've thought it might be 'carpal tunnel', I've done exercises for that--wore a brace a few times too.
The thing is, when my neck hurts, the pain radiates down the outside of my arm too and I'm wondering if this is all connected in some way.

If this were you, would you see a Neurologist, a Neurosurgeon, or just call your Primary? I just know the primary will say to call one of the others, maybe not.

At times the finger feels like it's 'waking up' with needles and pins throbbing, then it gets soooo cold and is 'asleep again'!
I always get these 'weird things'.

Also, I'm now on Prozac (or trying it) to help deal with the anxiety of the Meniere's symptoms--and just have taken it about 5 days now. Nausea is bad! Hope I can take it, for as I've told you, I don't do meds well.

So,--just needed medical advise and I have to tell you, with some other issues I"ve posted on WebMD, about my husband and myself--on other communities--they 'do not' answer promptly---if at all!

You're a 'gem' to do this and as promptly as you do. It means alot to get an answer, even if it's not what we want to hear. Hope that shoulder is doing better for you---I think of you often and have missed our chats--but the ear thing is as my Ent doctor told me--my 'new normal'! No fun! Yanksgirl

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
If you feel the symptoms in your finger are originating from your neck (a distinct possibility), then you need to see a neurosurgeon. Carpal tunnel syndrome should not act in this manner. Nerve compression can occure from the neck to as far south as you finger, but a neurosurgeon would most likely start with an MRI or CT of your neck. I believe he will find a degenerative disc or two with some nerve compression.

It was very nice to hear from you. My shoulder is still not normal. I suspect that surgery number three is in my immediate future.

I just finished a blog called "Falling Apart". I think you will like it. Look for it soon on the Family Webicine blog site.

yanksgirl replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Well, I was pleasantly surprised when I went online and found your answer. I thought maybe by tonight. It means so much that you are so 'faithful' in your job here. Thank you so much for your 'input'.

I'll look forward to reading your 'Falling apart' Blog! Is that what's happening to us? I truly feel like it most days. I think I could deal with most anything if this 'anxiety and depression' would ease.
Many folks have worse things than I do and it doesn't affect them in this way---and I have 'so much' to be thankful for. So, it's good to have a 'listening ear' here who truly 'cares'.
I know you said another surgery was 'out of the question' for you at one time--but we all 'change our minds' when things get so bad we just 'have to do something'. I do understand.
Take care Yanksgirl

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to yanksgirl's response:
Falling apart....disintegrating....decomposing....composting.....or just aging. You pick. I wrote the "Falling Apart" blog while waiting for my dentist to call back after one of my molars just....fell apart (or, at least a cusp broke off). As I was pondering the litany of ailments and health issues that can accumulate in a short period of time, I came to the conclusion that I was, indeed, falling apart. We are not born with a warranty, of course, but if he did, we would fall apart after the warranty expired.

You and I share many things, and I have to say that I also have degenerative disc disease in my neck. This was from a car accident when I was in my early 20's....rear-ended on the freeway, in stopped traffic, on the way home from work. About 40 years later, my neck still hurts, but it least I didn't have a chaulk line drawn around me that fateful day.

Get your neck checked out. Only the very worst of degenerative discs require surgery. I have waited 40 years, so far, and I am not interested in having neck surgery....either.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.