Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Pain in the neck
Information_Seeker posted:
Hi,

I have been feeling really weird lately. I am 22 years, female, and have had the following symptoms: headache, pain in the eye, right ear, temples and head, little hair loss, slight fever, body ache - pain in the bones basically - have hard time standing for long time or sitting for long time, also experiencing shortness in breath (have to take deep breaths sometimes), nose block too...
I went to the doctor and I was told I have vitamin B12 deficiency. It was 89. I am concerned as per why are these symptoms caused and what I should do to get better. I am experiencing this since a week and I have never experienced this before.
Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
One thing that is nearly impossible to accomplish over the Internet, is to blindly diagnose anyone with just the brief information in posting. I don't know anything about you, your medical history, nor do I have a way of examining you or delving into your case at a level necessary to narrow down the MANY diagnostic considerations that your symptoms might indicate. A person can also have more than one medical issue going on simultaneously, so your B12 deficiency (pernicious anemia??) is not the whole story.

It will be up to your doctor to follow up each and every one of your symptoms until those answers are obtained. As much as I would like to help you, I just do not have enough information, nor the hands-on opportunity to do so.

Information_Seeker replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
What sort of information would you be needing in order to diagnose it or guide me of how to approach the doctors in person?
I have gone to the doctor but they just give me amoxycillin all the time for any problems I have suffered, sometimes in minor cold/sore throat situations, it does help but then my body has now become immune to it, it doesn't affect me anymore and so I have stopped taking that medication.
Any medical history that might help you is:
- My paternal grandfather has diabetes and high BP and my dad has high BP too and has cholesterol on border.
- My maternal grandmother had aplastic anemia, mom has breast cancer
- I, myself was once on the borderline of cholesterol too but now it is normal.

The doctors that I have approached are not of any help cause they always give me antibiotics without even checking the symptoms. Its like I tell them what I feel and they give me an antibiotic, they do not check/test me for anything.
Recently, the throat has become worst, it may be sore throat, but also I am feeling that my wisdom teeth is coming out and have pain in my mouth while I swallow anything.
I am not sure what I should be doing. Any help/guidance will be appreciated.

I will try my best to approach another doctor though and get myself checked up before it gets worst or before something else arises.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Information_Seeker's response:
I am sorry that your experiences thus far with your medical providers have not be helpful. It is infinitely easier to throw a prescription for amoxicillin at a patient, than to do the systematic diagnostic work-up that you may need to solve this problem.

You need to see an ENT to have your throat more thoroughly examined. Some lab tests would also be helpful, from a comprehensive metabolic panel and CBC to an EBV panel (mono). You may also need to see a dentist since you feel that your wisdom teeth are becoming problematic.

Helpful Tips

Most People with a penicillin allergy can safely take cephalosporinsExpert
Medical providers have always been taught that if you are allergic to penicillin, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 61 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.