Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Loud Impulsive Noise
Anon_237213 posted:
I have been struggling for the past year and a half with noises in my ears, I recently had a diagnosis of atypical meneire's disease.

The other day, my husband accidentally dropped a glass dish into the kitchen sink. I stood within arms reach of him. I felt pressure in my left ear and heard a shrilling ringing noise for a couple of seconds. The pressure remained in the left ear for maybe 20 minutes or a half hour.

Could this incident have caused any damage or possibly induce a new onset of tinnitus permanently?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Yes, that is possible, but many people with tinnitus have hyper-sensitive hearing. Even though the sudden sound may have hurt or caused some temporary symptoms, it may not have caused any further damage.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.