Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Tamiflu
rohvannyn posted:
What is your opinion on the helpfulnes of tamiflu? I keep reading reports about it not helping much. I know prevention is the best cure, but what if you get the flu anyway? I wonder if it's worth getting germs all over the others in the pharmacy just to pick a medication up that has limited effectiveness. What has your experience been?

Thanks, as always, for being here.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
I have seen it help a great deal, but the diagnosis of INFLUENZA must be correct (by lab test) and the medication must be started EARLY (within a day, no more than two) for it to help. It shortens the course of the illness by a few days...important if you only have limited sick days or have an essential job where you can't be sick, and it does reduce the severity of the disease, because it lowers the "viral load".

I wish that people would just get the flu vaccine early in the season and Tamiflu would not likely be needed.

rohvannyn replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thanks for the insight!
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

Helpful Tips

EAR PROBLEMS
I have had a mild ear ache on and off and recently when I had a cold with runniynose, the ear began to hurt again. The outer ear was also ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.