Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Swollen Bleeding Tonsil
oooashley posted:
The last few days my right tonsil has become incredibly swollen and this morning i noticed blood. i looked in my throat and can see my swollen bloody gland. I have not had a fever, yet ive been getting chills. my throat feels like its getting stabbed with a knife, and its so swollen it hurts to swallow or eat anything. my right ear also hurts incredibly bad. I went to the doctor and she tested for strep throat and it came back negative. she still gave me pennicillin and liquid codeine for infection and pain. she is not sure what it is, and says if it doesnt get better in 3 days it may be an abscess. any second opinions out there???? just a side note, i always get bad allergies and strep throat around this time of year since i have moved to this new city.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
I can't offer you an official "second opinion", namely since I have no way of examining you, but I can say that unilateral, painful, tonsillar swelling is a peritonsillar abscess until otherwise proven. Many of these are Strep, so hopefully your Strep test was properly taken, and a back up culture ordered.

Occasionally, the early onset of mono can do this as well, so my advice is for you to see your medical provider again if this does not improve, or worsen....or SEE an ENT for a hands-on seccond opinion.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.