Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Issues with my Ear
    AlexVee posted:
    Hi all,

    I have had some issues with my left ear for about 2 years now. Here are the symptoms:

    - minimally enlarged (compared to the Right side), non-painful lymph nodes behind my ear. The lymph nodes are not currently gorwing
    - hot and red ear
    -The same side of my head sometimes feels numb
    - if i jerk my neck to the left, i feel some pain in the nerves around the neck that lead to the ear
    -period ear pain
    - have been told by my doctor that i have had an ear infection, i treated it with anitbiotics with no luck

    Medical history:

    -tooth infections on the left side
    -hay fever (allergies)

    Please help, i dont have insurance and am saving money to eventually see a doctor. Any feedback will be appreciated
    Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
    A person can have unilateral ear pain for many reasons. Obviously, there could be a problem in the ear itself, but because of nerve pathways, ear pain can also be "referred" from another part of the body. For instance, a problem in your cervical (neck) spine can cause ear pain. A problem in your throat, sinuses, TMJ, or even your teeth can cause pain to be felt in your ear.

    Without a thorough, hands-on examination there is really no way to sort out the many possible causes. While I am sympathetic to your lack of insurance, there are really no alternative way to be properly diagnosed or treated, but you should try and see an ENT specialist since you have had these problems for two years.

    Helpful Tips

    Your Home Black BagExpert
    Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    32 of 54 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Focus on Flu

    Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.