Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Ear pain with PE tube & after removal
DZahran posted:
I had a PE placed in my right ear. The doctor was trying to see if there was pressure in my ear from an international trip that has left me with vertigo. I only had the tube in 4 days when the doctor had to remove it due to the intense amount of pain it was causing. I also had/have trouble with my hearing.. a clogged/tunnel sound. The tube has now been out for 7 days. Im still in almost as much as pain as I was with the tube. It didnt really hurt when he removed the tube but when he placed the paper patch over the perforation, it was the extremely painful like 10/10 pain. The doctor said my eardrum is hypersensitive and he's never seen this with a tube placement before.

Thank You.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
He is lying....the eardrum is VERY sensitive in anyone. He should have done this procedure under anesthesia or at least with some topical pain medication combined with sedation. Sometimes, I think that some medical provider forget that certain procedures cause PAIN.

You may need to get a second ENT opinion if this ENT is not solving the problem soon.

DZahran replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thanks. He is actually the 4th Neurotogist I've seen. Im not sure there are in any others in my area. Before the tube placement he used a pneumatic otoscope and it caused alot of pain that ear as well that lasted 4 days. Thinking back now I remembered when I was recently in Africa anytime wind hit my right ear I had to try a scarf around my head to cover it. I've seen 2 Neurologists who suspected I have a Perilymph Fistula. So far none of the ear doctors have wanted to look in the ear. Im assuming the pain should subside as the hole heals?

Thanks for your time.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to DZahran's response:
Yes, the pain should subside IF the cause of the pain in the inflammed eardrum, so give it some time. Many people are unfortunately blessed with an abundance of sensory nerves in their ear canal...these are often the people that get ear pain from wind or cold, so it would be wise to cover your ears in these situations.

Four neurotologists? You have been busy.....

DZahran replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Its feeling better today. I think the paper patch is starting to adhere because I cant really hear it in my ear anymore. I feel like Im returning to my "pre-op" pressure/pain. My hearing is still off though.... Everything sounds like Im in a tunnel & my ear feels very clogged. Also, my voice sounds different to me & I cant tell how loud Im talking. The doctor scheduled me for a hearing test next week.

My vertigo has been much worse since the tube was placed & removed. Im not sure if this is from stress & pain or from the tube/perforation.

The Doctor said the tube failure is sign that this is not a negative pressure injury but I feel like 4 days is not really enough to time to know if the tube would have helped my symptoms. Plus, I was in so much pain......

Yes... 2 ENT's, 4 Neurotologists & 2 Neurologists since August. I guess my ear has become a medical mystery I feel like surgical exploration is my only other choice.

Thanks again for your input, its very much appreciated.

Helpful Tips

Most People with a penicillin allergy can safely take cephalosporinsExpert
Medical providers have always been taught that if you are allergic to penicillin, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 61 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.