Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Yellow liquid coming from nose
An_250210 posted:
Hey guys, I searched through a through a few (tongue twister) threads on this subject but everything looked like it was case by case and I'm sort of riding the fence. On Friday of last week I had a concussion around 8pm while snowboarding. After that I threw up about 8 times and ended up going to the ER. They did a CT scan and said it was okay and I just had a mild concussion. So two days after that I get a nasty cold (I know wonderful weekend) and I've been battling that for almost a week. Today it has been exactly one week from my concussion and five days from my cold. This morning I woke up and while in the bathroom felt like I had a nose bleed. I wiped my nose and it was this yellow colored fluid. It wasn't thick but really runny. I dripped maybe 5-10 drops and then it stopped. I've never had this happen before, so needless to say I'm worried. Is this something I need to go to the doctor for? Or is it something I can just push by is what I basically need to know.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Yes, I think it would be prudent for you to consult your doctor today about this incident, especially in light of your concussion. The worry, of course, would be undiagnosed damage to the paranasal sinuses (was it a front head injury?) or even a subtle skull fracture. Someone may want to look at that CT again...very carefully, just in case.

Of course, it also may be "nothing", but it would be best to get it checked out.

Garrettoftheburg replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
How dire of a need is this? I'm heading out of town tomorrow and then will be back on Sunday. Is it something I need to get checked out immediately or could it wait till Monday or Tuesday of next week?

Garrettoftheburg replied to Garrettoftheburg's response:
And I believe it was a front head injury. I blacked out so I'm not completely sure what part of my head got hit.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Garrettoftheburg's response:
You will have to make that decision, my friend. I do not know the details of your injury, nor do I have the ability to examine you. All I have to go on is your brief statement about a concussion with loss of consciousness, and now...a sudden drainage of yellow-colored fluid from the nose. To me, this would indicate a need to get re-evaluated, and have that CT reviewed again by the radiologist. Sometimes, a second CT will need to be done if the first CT did not view an area of concern (based on your examination).

My recommendation is for you to be re-evaluated. You will have to detemine if your out-of-town trip takes priority. I know the ER on a Friday night is not a pleasant experience, but this may be your only option if you want to get properly examined and diagnosed before going out of town.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.