Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Is it safe to conceive while sick with a Cold/Flu?
KSTJAL posted:
Is it safe to conceive while I am sick? I do not believe I have the Flu (no fever, no aches) but I do have a bad cold (cough, runny nose, and overall feeling very weak). I got the Flu shot only a few days ago, so not sure it's fully in my system. (I did already have this cold when I got the Flu shot, but the Pharmacist said it was okay since I didn't have a fever). My husband and I are trying to get pregnant (baby #2) and I should be ovulating in the next day or two. Is it safe for me to get pregnant while not feeling well and so close to having gotten the Flu shot? THANK YOU for your counsel! Katherine/KSTJAL

Take the Poll

Is it safe to conceive while sick with a cold / flu?
  • Yes, no worries
  • Yes, with some precautions or care
  • It depends - need to learn more
  • Not advised - wait another month
  • Absolutely not - definitely wait another month
vote
View Poll Results

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
There should not be an issue.....If you are well enough to have sex, I am sure things will be just fine.

Helpful Tips

Ear and allergies
For what it's worth, my brother has been getting allergy shots for a year and the ringing in his ears has stopped..... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.