Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
What to expect after cauterization?
LexyL posted:
I had my nose electrically cauterized on Feb. 1 after four really bad nose bleeds in five months. The doctor gave me no idea what to expect in the coming days. So far, my nose has been running a bit (clear discharge), but that's not unusual for me, especially this time of year (allergies). Should I be moisturizing the scab inside my nose? If so, with what? When will it be safe to blow my nose again? I had stopped using antihistamines for my allergies because I was told they could dry out my nose and cause it to bleed? Is it safe for me to start using them again?

Sorry for all the questions, but the doctor didn't answer any of them Friday, and he has told me I don't need a follow up visit. I'm kind of on my own.

Thanks!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Use some saline nasal spray to moisturize your nose, followed by a light coating of Vaseline. Don't pick off that scab; let it come off naturally. Run a humidifier in your bedroom at night.

If you blow your nose, do so very gently (after the saline). If you are fine over the next few days, you can try the antihistamines again.

toomanyproblems replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
I'm in a similar position. Today is day 6 and my nose drips a watery, slightly yellow fluid which I have been told can resul from the blood that was built up in my sinuses after nasal packing with a balloon catheter. Have you ever heard of this happening? Any idea when it will stop?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to toomanyproblems's response:
Since I don't know your particular case or have a way of examining you, I can't specifically comment on the source of your drainage, nor would it be possible to even guess at the duration. I am very sorry, but your treating medical provider is really the best source for these patient-specific answers.

LexyL replied to toomanyproblems's response:
FYI, I sometimes have the same discharge you describe, and today is day 9 for me. The ENT I saw has, unfortunately, made himself unavailable for follow-up questions, so I'm winging it. I'm assuming that if my nose isn't bleeding, swollen or painful, then things are OK.

Chelras07 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
My 6 year old son had his sinuses cauterized, his tonsils and adenoids removed and tubes put in his ears all at once. His nose started scanning nicely then stopped bleeding yet today 4 days later, it's bleeding dripping red blood. Not only that he woke up yesterday morning with blood around his lips from his throat... I looked at it and it seems to be right but in terrified something is wrong and I can't get ahold of anybody.. Seeing as I understand you don't know specific details on his case, could you offer some advice?

LexyL replied to toomanyproblems's response:
I never had my nose packed, but my nose stopped dripping after a couple of weeks. Keeping my nose moisturized with Vaseline seemed to help the healing a lot. And the good news is, I haven't had a nose bleed since I had the cauterization.

Helpful Tips

Sharp pain in left ear lob cartiliage
After the last 24 hours of excruciating pain and having tried Tylenol Regular and Sinus and heating pads, this morning I took Aleve as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.