Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
vibrating ear drum in deaf ear
mottsey posted:
I lost my hearing in my right ear a little over a year ago while working on a job site in the AZ mountains, driving up and down 7 to 10 thousand foot elevation with upper respiratory infection. I first got my hearing checked.. when I started having difficulties hearing people talk, was like a white noise over everything...what I found to be tinnitus.. has made my life to this day impossible!
I have seen 3 different ENT's, neurologist, and not one of them can tell me WHY I lost my hearing in right ear, and why I am slowly losing it in left. I have been sick for the last 3 months.. I lost the month of Dec, the only thing I remember is that I had an incredible burning feeling rushing down the right side of my head behind my ear, like someone was pouring acid in my head.. since then, I am getting horrible pains in and under my right ear, feels like it is filled with fluid, that just cannot drain, and is painful.. about 3 or 4 times a day, I can feel my ear drum vibrating, actually feels like an alka seltzer fuzzing in my ear.. I have been taking decongestants and antibiotics, but not feeling any better... What is happening to my right ear? The doctors that I have seen cannot explain.... thanks for any info

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Unfortunately, since I have no way of examining you over the Internet, and delving into your case, I have no way of offering you a patient-specific explanation. I can tell you that sudden hearing loss remains a mystery in many cases...a VERY difficult problem to medically-investigate since the problem may be at the microscopic level in the inner ear (a place that cannot be seen on exam) or the brain.

You need to find a GOOD neurotolgist at a large, university-based medical center to manage your case. While this may be be difficult to solve, there are treatments that can help you cope with the tinnitus.

Incidentally, I have intractable tinnitus, myself....for over 15 years. It came on suddenly, but fortunately, there was no hearing loss.

Helpful Tips

EAR PROBLEMS
I have had a mild ear ache on and off and recently when I had a cold with runniynose, the ear began to hurt again. The outer ear was also ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.