Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Myringitis bullous and muffled hearing
Roulanas posted:
Hi,
I had this myringitis bullous episode around 12 days ago when both eardrums ruptured, and I had liquid draining out of my ears. The pain went away after that happened, but I still can't hear well--it's as if my ears are congested, everything I hear is muffled. Sometimes, I can also hear tiny popping sounds in one of my ears (it's kind of like the sound of soda bubbles popping). I've been on antibiotics (cefuroxime axetil). How long would it take before I can hear properly again? I have a scheduled trip next month, and I don't know if it is OK to get in a plane with my ears like that. I hope there's something I can do to help with the drainage (Dr. says there's still some fluid behind the ear, which is causing the popping sounds. He gave me cortisone, which I prefer not to take if there are any other solutions).
Thanks,
Roula

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
I can't really specifically comment on your treatment, other than the fact that it seems to be appropriate. Healing just takes time; perhaps never as fast as you would prefer. There is very little that you can do to expedite your care, unless of course, you decide to take the cortisone that your doctor recommended. Of course, that is up to you, whether you choose this route or not. Personally, I seen nothing wrong with using it....and I am unclear about your objection to it.

Roulanas replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Dear Dr. Moser,

Thank you for your reply. I was just concerned about taking the medication because I am currently breastfeeding, and was worried that the medication would have any negative effect on my milk.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Roulanas's response:
I don't know your dosage or the duration of the steroids, but at lower and reasonable dosages, it will not have any adverse effects on your breast milk or baby. I assumed you informed your doctor when this was prescribed.

Your choice...I think you will still get better (eventually), steroid or not. It may be a bit faster with the steroids, but statistically, you will still get better.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.