Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Ear plugged from flight, must fly tomorrow
OneWellness posted:
I had a bad cold last week. I took a short flight today and it was very painful on the way down. Now I can't hear out of my left ear.

I have to leave tomorrow night on an international trip around the globe. The first leg is from the US to London. What can I do to prevent this from happening on the next flight? Will those Earplane ear plugs work?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
You can try EarPlanes, but the jury is still out on their overall effectiveness. Since your time is very, very limited....using a short-acting NASAL decongestant just before take-off and landing may be something to try. Anti-inflammatory medications, like Ibuprofen can be helpful, too.

Too bad that I can't look in your ears, but I suspect you have barotitis...ear pain from barometric pressure change. This takes time to resolved, no mater what is done, and tomorrow may not be enough time for this to resolve.

EarRing responded:
One,

Try the "earpopper"

www.earpopper.com/testimonials

Helpful Tips

EAR PROBLEMS
I have had a mild ear ache on and off and recently when I had a cold with runniynose, the ear began to hurt again. The outer ear was also ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.