Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Irregular Thumping in Right Ear
    CycloneW posted:
    So, for the past few years I have noticed an occasional thumping sensation/sound in my right ear (only right ear). It is not related to my heart beat. A few months ago, I noticed that while the microwave was on, thumping would occur in my ear and get faster/harder as I got nearer the microwave. It would be alleviated when I moved away. Noticed a similar phenomenon with the heater in my office. I have also recently found that my ear will thump in the bathroom at the office, but only near walls and only when the heater/fan is on. Thumping gets louder/faster as my ear gets closer to the wall and gets better as I move away. My ear does not feel quite normal afterwards in any case, although "popping" my ears seems to help a bit. It isn't painful, just unpleasant and odd.

    Forgive the rambling, I'm confused by this and wondering if it is something I should have checked out. Many thanks.
    Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
    You may be experiencing a bit of MYOCLONUS....a muscle spasm/twitching of the tiny muscles that attach those three ear bones in your middle ear (usually the stapedius). This is not an easy problem to diagnose or treat, so you may need to see an ENT specialist.

    Helpful Tips

    Drugs and reactions
    As long as we're on the subject of reactions that Dr.s say they have never seen problems with their large number of patients over the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Focus on Flu

    Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.