Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Pulse In Ear
    SuperValGal posted:
    I am a 52 year old female. For the past 6-8 months I have been experiencing a pulse (whosh, whosh, whosh) sound in my right ear. I don't notice it during the day but when I recline or lay down it is very loud an annoying.

    I have a high medical deductable and would like to know where to start the process of figuring this out. My husband has been checking my blood pressure and it is in within normal limits.

    Any in sight would be very much appreciated.
    Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
    You may have pulsatile tinnitus....

    Pulsatile tinnitus can be caused by many medical conditions. In order for you to be properly evaluated, it would be best for you to see an ENT at a large, university-based medical center. Usually, the collaborative resources at these large institutions are better for these difficult to diagnose (and treat) disorders. Since you have a high-deductable insurance, I am sure that a thoroguh diagnostic work-up will help you reach that deductable limit.

    Vascular abnormalities -- a problem with an adjacent artery or vein (the jugular vein has a pulsation is high on the list of causes). Glomus tumors (a non-cancerous growth in or near the blood vessels) are occasionally found. Carotid stenosis (closing or narrowing of this neck artery) can cause pulsatile symptoms.

    There are other causes, including hypertension (high blood pressure), patulous eustachian tubes (open tubes leading from throat to ear), palatomyoclonus (spasms of muscles in the soft palate) and stapedial muscle spasm (the tiny muscle attached to the stapes bone in the middle ear).
    SuperValGal replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
    Thank you so much for responding to my question. I do have an interesting update.

    I thought I would start with the easiest (and least expensive) of things to try first. I read that one of the possible culprits could be fluid in the ears. I purchased an alcohol based OTC product by the name of Auro-Dry to aid with drying of the ear canal.

    I am happy to announce that after three days I have not experienced any pulsatile tinnitus. I realize that it might be a temporary fix, but it's a begining.

    If the smyptoms return, I will take your advice in going to a University for diagnosis and treatment.

    Thanks again!
    SuperValGal replied to SuperValGal's response:
    It has been over 2 months since my first post. Just wanted to

    I am still not having any pulsatile tinnitus. There have been
    two occassions that I had water in my ear that I was unable to remove so I used Auro-Dry and within a few minutes it was gone.

    I am so happy that I do not have to deal with the "swooshing" sound in my ear anymore. Yippeeee for an easy fix!

    Helpful Tips

    Help me some one please i need help with my son
    My son is 10 months old and when he was a month he had hopping cough and i took him to the doctors 3 times and they didnt pick up on it so ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Focus on Flu

    Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.