Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Pulse In Ear
SuperValGal posted:
I am a 52 year old female. For the past 6-8 months I have been experiencing a pulse (whosh, whosh, whosh) sound in my right ear. I don't notice it during the day but when I recline or lay down it is very loud an annoying.

I have a high medical deductable and would like to know where to start the process of figuring this out. My husband has been checking my blood pressure and it is in within normal limits.

Any in sight would be very much appreciated.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
You may have pulsatile tinnitus....

Pulsatile tinnitus can be caused by many medical conditions. In order for you to be properly evaluated, it would be best for you to see an ENT at a large, university-based medical center. Usually, the collaborative resources at these large institutions are better for these difficult to diagnose (and treat) disorders. Since you have a high-deductable insurance, I am sure that a thoroguh diagnostic work-up will help you reach that deductable limit.

Vascular abnormalities -- a problem with an adjacent artery or vein (the jugular vein has a pulsation is high on the list of causes). Glomus tumors (a non-cancerous growth in or near the blood vessels) are occasionally found. Carotid stenosis (closing or narrowing of this neck artery) can cause pulsatile symptoms.

There are other causes, including hypertension (high blood pressure), patulous eustachian tubes (open tubes leading from throat to ear), palatomyoclonus (spasms of muscles in the soft palate) and stapedial muscle spasm (the tiny muscle attached to the stapes bone in the middle ear).

SuperValGal replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank you so much for responding to my question. I do have an interesting update.

I thought I would start with the easiest (and least expensive) of things to try first. I read that one of the possible culprits could be fluid in the ears. I purchased an alcohol based OTC product by the name of Auro-Dry to aid with drying of the ear canal.

I am happy to announce that after three days I have not experienced any pulsatile tinnitus. I realize that it might be a temporary fix, but it's a begining.

If the smyptoms return, I will take your advice in going to a University for diagnosis and treatment.

Thanks again!

SuperValGal replied to SuperValGal's response:
It has been over 2 months since my first post. Just wanted to
update.

I am still not having any pulsatile tinnitus. There have been
two occassions that I had water in my ear that I was unable to remove so I used Auro-Dry and within a few minutes it was gone.

I am so happy that I do not have to deal with the "swooshing" sound in my ear anymore. Yippeeee for an easy fix!

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.