Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
swollen throat on top around uvula?
Emma0512 posted:
I already went to an ER since i have no insurance, I got treated for pharyngitis, was put on antibiotics this was 2 days ago. Today I woke up feeling much better, before my throat was swollen in the glands on both sides of my throat, this morning the swelling had reduced to just a little with a little scratchy feeling. I did still feel tiered and runny nose so I went back to bed for 2 hours. When i woke up I woke up because my throat was so dry I could not swallow and then discovered my uvula area the top upper throat was huge and swollen! I don't want to rush back to the ER over this because the doctor told me I would be just fine shortly with the medicine but I have the worse throat phobias....everything from choking to breathing Nothing scares me more even if it isn't my own throat I become very upset about choking and not being able to breath. As of now i can breath fine and can swallow just hurts and its very scary feeling like im pulling down my throat when i swallow. Any one know if this is just due to breathing in the dry air? and will it go away or should i go back to the ER? Very panicky thanks for any help.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
I am sorry, Emma, but you will need to make that decision. Since I do not know anything about you or this particular case, nor do I have a way of examining you, it would not be prudent for me to blindly make that call. I don't know your diagnosis...the type of medication you were given....

If you feel feel like your airway is compromised and this is causing you to panic, then seeing a medical provider again would seem to be a reasonable course of action on your part.

keighty80 responded:
I used to get tonsilitis all the time and my uvula would triple in size. I would feel as if I was about to swallow and choke on my uvula. Since I had my tonsils and adenoids removed I hardly ever have any problems breathing. Hopefully you will recover quickly with the medicine the dr. gave you. Feel better soon!

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.