Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
IS IT STAFF?
BJTHEDJ posted:
I had a bad sore throat for 2 1/2 weeks. Went to Ear Dr. & he said I had a sinus infection & put me on Cephlex for 14 days. I felt better.
3 weeks later I developed another sore throat which is worse in a way because it causes me to cough & I feel like I can't breath. I have
also lost my voice.

About the same time I developed a sore between my thumb & finger
that looks like a spider bite (or staff - according to pictures). It festered
but didn't look like it had puss.

I went to a clinic after 4 days of the sore throat. She said there was
an abundance of phlegm- gave me flonases & said phelgm is acidic
& burns the throat. She said to take the flonases 3 weeks & I'd probably feel better in 3-5 days. On day 4 now & I think things are worse. She thought the lump was a spider bite.

I'm wondering if these are staff infections. She didn't take a culture but I know & she said it wasn't strep. I haven't had that since I had my tonsils out at 9.

I am planning to go to a clinic again since I'm now out of town.
What should I ask them to do? I started back on the Cephlex but
don't see any difference.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Staph (the correct spelling) is not a common pathogen in the throat. The most common would be a respiratory virus; 10-20 can be Strep. Your antibiotic would likely have helped if this was a bacterial infection, so being re-examined is a prudent step again. Having a culture would be a good idea next ime.

BJTHEDJ replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thanks. I asked for a cullture - she didn't want to do one.
I think I'm having a bad reaction to the flonaise. I am now hoarse, coughing profusely, and am having trouble breathing.
Can I just stop taking it? I really didn't have a stuffy, itchy or runny nose, just a lot of phlegm in my throat and a very very sore throat. Couldn't get an appt. today.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to BJTHEDJ's response:
Even if you can't get an appointment, you can at least call about the Flonase. I am sorry, but since I am not your treating medical provider, I cannot tell you to stop this medication. Only your doctor can do this....

Helpful Tips

Ear and throat pain
Hi, I have been experiencing a swollen tonsil for about three weeks, I went to the doctor mi first week and told him mi symptoms: sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.