Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
ear itch & nasal sores
4kittyz posted:
I've been having similar problems with my left ear for approx 1&1\2 yrs. It itches so bad that I dig it with a Qtip till it bleeds. Another thing that started about 8 months ago, I get sores under my left nostril. [4 breakoouts in 8 months.> At first I thought it was a blind pimple, VERY sore but it ended up kinda looking like a cold sore. [the raised weepy bumps but no itch.> Each time it came back, it increased in size. Been to family doc twice, 1st time he said I had a yeast infection in my ear and impentego[?> under my nose. Gave me amoxil and an ointment for my nose and clortrimazole drops for my ear. Used it all as directed with no relief . Went back 2 weeks ago and he changed the diagnoses... now I had staph infection in my ear and a cold sore under my nose. Gave me bactrim and mupirocin ointment for my ear and zovirax for my nose. My nose has healed somewhat but is still very noticable. My ear is just as bad as it was before. Kept my ear as dry as I possibly could and used ointment and took all bactrim as directed. What the hell??? Is this crap under my nose connected to my ear problem? I do have allergies but got allergy shots for almost 5 yrs and pretty much have them under control. I still have episodes tho with watery eyes, sneezing and runny nose. What would cause these symptoms?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Your doctor is trying LOTS of different things, perhaps because the diagnosis is unclear based on his examination. You may need to see an ENT for a higher-level evaluation.

Itchy ears and Q-tips are connected. Stop those Q-tips, but I am sure you have contributed to the underlying problem. Itchy ears can be eczema...it could be fungal.....or any number of various skin infections, including impetigo. Since you had the "sore" in your ear, it can now be a bacterial infection, or even a relatively-rare herpetic condition called Ramsay-Hunt. This is why an ENT would be helpful, rather than a shotgun approach using various, different treatment modalities.

Impetigo is usually Staph, and Staph is very common in the nose, so it would be nice to know if you have MRSA - a particularly-nasty, drug resistant type. You would need to have this cultured by the lab to see.

And, of course, you may have cold or allergy to add a bit of icing to this array of symptoms you are having.

4kittyz replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Hello Dr. Moser and thank you for your reply. I forgot to mention that doc did a nose culture for MRSA and it came back neg. I made an appt today for an ENT doc for the 28th. I hope he can get this figured out. Family doc didnt culture the stuff from my ear, its clear some times and crusty yellowish other times. It doesnt itch down in my ear, just the canal. I'll let you know what doc says next week.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to 4kittyz's response:
Thanks for the follow up

4kittyz replied to 4kittyz's response:
Hello Dr. Moser, I read that you've decided to take a break from WebMD. I'm hoping you get this update. I had to reschedule my apt with ENT to today. He believes [not tested yet> that I have an allergy to yeast. He wants me to go on a very strict diet for 3 weeks and I'm going for allergy tests next week. He said he's seeing this type of allergy more and more with the over use of antibiotics and our meats being injected with antibiotics and hormones. I'm going to give the diet a try because this itching and draining in my ear is driving me crazy and I have ANOTHER sore under my nose! Thank you for listening, Sincerely, Darlene

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to 4kittyz's response:
Allergy to yeast? That is really a new one for me, so I am a bit surprised by your ENT assumption that this is your underlying problem. I will be very interested in your response from the diet. I hope it helps.....

Helpful Tips

EAR PROBLEMS
I have had a mild ear ache on and off and recently when I had a cold with runniynose, the ear began to hurt again. The outer ear was also ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.