Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Ruptured ear drum
Dlong3 posted:
I had my 9 year old son seen today by our family doctor due to severe ear pain. While waiting for the doctor and being checked out by the nurse I noticed blood in his ear. When the doctor came in and examined him he said he probably has an ear infection but because of the severe pain when touched and the blood in his ear he couldn't examine it fully. When i asked about what would cause the bleeding he said about a ruptured ear drum. About 30 minutes later he threw up in the pharmacy after he felt like a pop in his ear and in his words liquid in his ear. He also got very pale. That was 12 hours ago. He didn't have a fever at the time. He is now running a fever and still has all blood discharge. The pain eases after switching between tylenol and ibuprofen. Are these symptoms normal with a ruptured ear drum?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
These symptoms may be considered "normal" due to an underlying infection....an infection that lead to the ruptured eardrum. His vomiting could have been related to vertigo/dizziness, not uncommon with a severe ear infection.

What KIND of antibiotic treatment is your son using?

Even though a ruptured eardrum sounds serious, most of these natural occurences (this is nature's way of dealing with infection and pressure) will completely heal in a few weeks. As long as the underlying infection is appropriately treated, you son should be fine.

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.