Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
tinnitus
sherm80 posted:
I know you also have tinnitus, and have seen your response in regards to its longevity, especially with the acoustic type. Now, I've had my tinnitus for about 5 years, and I believe from a sudden loud cannon near me, not right next to me, but near me. After 5 years, can it STILL possibly resolve itself? Also, the sound (sounds like a "white" noise) hasn't changed much in that time---does it USUALLY stay the same, as far as type and intensity over the years??

Thank you. Sorry to hear of your schedule change, you are one of the FEW that even bothers to answer questions here in these "communities". And you always do it with expertise and humor!!!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Thanks, Sherm...
In medicine, we never say never. I have long given up the thought that I would have a tinnitus-free life again. Sadly, after five years, the chance that yours would suddenly improve would be unlikely....but not impossible. Mine was likely inner ear damage from a viral infection. While most of these do improve, I ended up being the minority that didn't Same goes for acoustic injuries, since over time, most of those get better, too. So, you fall into that catagory that did not improve.

Most of the time, unless it is very quiet, I don't pay much attention to the high-pitched, electronic-sounding whine that is my tinnitus. If it does bug me, I find something to do to distract me (television, music, etc.).

I will still try and monitor the ENT Community and offer input from time to time when I think I can help.

Helpful Tips

Sharp pain in left ear lob cartiliage
After the last 24 hours of excruciating pain and having tried Tylenol Regular and Sinus and heating pads, this morning I took Aleve as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.