Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Chronic Sinus Infections
KLB1974 posted:
I get 2-3 sinus infections per year and have for many years. Colds seem to be a huge trigger as well as allergy flare-ups. I typically will take a course of antibiotics which will get rid of it. I cannot take decongestants or steroids so sometimes the nasal swelling will linger for a few weeks.

I caught a cold in early January and ended up getting a sinus infection a few weeks later. My doctor prescribed an antibiotic. I felt better after a few days but on about day 8 or so of being on antibiotics, I developed a sore throat and felt like the whole process was starting over again. I waited about a week or so to see if I would get better on my own. When I felt the same a week later, my doctor prescribed another antibiotic. I finished it last week and I still don't feel entirely well.

I have ALOT of drainage going down the back of my throat which irritates the lining of my throat and I have a headache/pressure between my eyebrows. The drainage is so thick, I sometimes start gagging/choking.

I already take Claritin and Nasonex for my allergies. Nothing seems to help.

I plan to make an ENT appt. this week. What should I expect from the visit? Since antibiotics, claritin and Nasonex don't seem to help, is there anything else I can try?

I should mention I have a fairly bad deviated septum so is probably making me suspectible to getting sinus infections.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
The ENT may want to get a CT scan of your sinuses, and he/she may want to "scope" your nasal passages with a fiberoptic instrument.

Helpful Tips

Sharp pain in left ear lob cartiliage
After the last 24 hours of excruciating pain and having tried Tylenol Regular and Sinus and heating pads, this morning I took Aleve as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.