Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
strep throat not getting better and perhaps worse
Janeen1234 posted:
Yesterday, I went to my PCP for an extremely sore throat, slight fever, lymph nodes visible from across the room (neck),and body aches and pain (that morning I could barely move). She did a throat culture and it instantly came up strep. She prescribed Amox 500mg 4 pills a day. Its been over 24hrs since I started. There has been no change and in fact now I have more white spots and the dangly thing in the middle is much bigger. Is this normal? My throat is very very painful. Taking three advils barely masks the pain.
P.S. I have not had strep since my tonsils were taken out at age 18. That was about 20 years ago.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
You are on the correct medication for Strep, assuming your diagnosis was correct and that you do not have mono. You just need to give the antibiotics more time to work....one day doesn't do it.

Janeen1234 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
I talked to the doctor and she changed the meds to Zithro 500mg and gave me tylenol 3 for the pain. I am hoping this does it.
I have had mono before. I wasn't aware that it is possible to get it twice?

Helpful Tips

Ear and allergies
For what it's worth, my brother has been getting allergy shots for a year and the ringing in his ears has stopped..... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.