Post-Ear Infection - Still have symptoms
statx57 posted:
OK here is the deal. I never had one ear infection that I could remember for most of my life and now I am 29 and have had 3 in 6-8 months. My right ear is always the culprit. The first two infections were the classic painful & blocked and were treated easily with antibiotics. The last one came in with little to no pain, but the huge difference was constant cracking noises, hearing my heartbeat at night in the ear and other noises. Hearing is signifcantly less in the right ear. I went to my family doctor and he saw fluid and put me on the antibiotic but because of the recurrent nature of the infection over the last half of year he scheduled me for a ENT. After the first course of it I felt no difference, so I called and asked for another round leading up to my ENT appointment which the doctor agreed. The ENT said there is no fluid in my ear and that my Eustachian tube is a vacuum, puckered in. I feel fullness in the ear, with constant drowned out hearing, crackling, many noises get a buzzing reaction from that ear, etc. The ENT told me that he feels this is just a lasting symptom from the infection and in adults especially it can take weeks even months to dissipate. However, he also sees the top part of ear drum is thinner than the rest and is afraid the vacuum of the middle ear area may be sucking in that part and creating cholesteatoma but can't see it because it may be forming in the upper middle ear. So he is giving me four weeks until the next appointment to see if these are just left over symptoms from the infection. I am scheduled for a audiogram and another exam in 4 weeks from today. These symptoms are driving me absolutely nuts considering I am a music lover and my quality of life is hurt significantly if I can listen to music without it sounding like a speaker that has had it's paper part cut so it gives back a cracking feedback that is horrible to hear. I'd appreciate any professional opinion and anyone who's had similar symptoms. Thanks so much!