Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Retracted Eardrum Not resolving
jl0208 posted:
About a month and a half ago I thought I was getting a little nose cold with post nasal drip and sneezing but the post nasal drip never went away. No sinus pain, no fever, clear constant drip. I tried every otc i could stand to try to stop the drip after a couple weeks. Two weeks ago I suddenly felt like my ear was extremely full and could barely hear. Only on occasion had little ear pain, no fever. I never really felt like you do when "you have a cold or other illness" Went to dr and she said my eardrum is retracted, it is red and she could see fluid. Prescribed cipro, Max strength sudafed and saline spray. After one week no change,went back to dr and the ear still looks the same. Prescribed bactrim and flonase which I have been on for 5 days and still I feel no change other than the hearing is a little worse, I have a 24 he a day high pitched ringing, at times hear my heartbeat. The inability to hear from one ear is overwhelming when multiple people talk to me at the same time especially with background noise and the ringing gets so loud at times it hurts. I am just ready for any suggestions for helping this resolve or is this something that typically takes a while? Dr said if it wasn't better at next appointment I will need to see ent but I have no insurance so don't want to be hasty if this can resolve on its own. But at the same time don't want to risk hearing loss.
Thank you!

Helpful Tips

Ear and throat pain
Hi, I have been experiencing a swollen tonsil for about three weeks, I went to the doctor mi first week and told him mi symptoms: sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.