Skip to content
Dysfunctional Eustachian Tubes
JackieLouBlue posted:

I am 57 years old and have had ear infections my whole life. I had and still have chronic infections. Going to the mountains and flying were unbearable until I started getting tubes in both ears about 27 years ago. I can't count how many sets of tubes I've had. Anyway, both of my eardrums are ruptured and I consider that a blessing because I no longer need tubes to fly and have no pain when going to the mountains. The problem is this: I have chronic ear infections and tested 2 months ago with "mild hearing loss". I have an ear infection now that is not responding to the antibiotics. I can't take regular ear drops because the pain is so bad when using them, my entire right side of my face hurts for several hours. My ENT prescribes Tobradex (eyedrops) instead and it usually works fine.

My main question is this: What are the complications of longlasting ear infections that don't heal. My perforations in both ears are permanent. AND should I get them patched? I don't want to.

Thanks so much!


Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 54 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.