Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Maxillary sinus cyst & dental pain
An_250767 posted:
I have been having pain and pressure in my right upper teeth starting at the canine and going back 3 teeth (#6, #5, #4, #3) for over 3 months. I have seen a dentist who ruled out any problems with the teeth (by visual exam and x-ray), a periodontist who ruled out any problems with the gums and an endodontist who ruled out the need for a root canal. I have been treated for a sinus infection by my primary care physician and ENT. I have been prescribed antiobiotics (amoxycillin for 20 days and azithromycin 250mg for 7 days), prednisone for 5 days, flonase, nasonex and daily sinus rinses. Nothing has helped. The pain and pressure never goes away, but is definitely less intense in the morning. The pain increases throughout the day. The tooth pain also moves around between the 4 teeth depending on the position of my head. I also have headaches behind my eyes, across my forehead and right cheek.

A CT scan of my sinsuses shows a 1.4 cm cyst in the maxillary sinus. The cyst is sitting right on the bottom of the maxillary sinus above my teeth. On the CT scan you can actually see the teeth making contact with the cyst. My ENT is recommending surgery to remove the cyst. However, he is not certain the cyst is the culprit causing my pain as he claims they are normally asymptomatic.

Has anyone had a personal experience with a cyst in the maxillary sinus that caused dental pain? If so, did you have it removed and was the pain resolved? Or if you are reading this and you are a medical expert, have you ever treated a patient with symptoms like mine and was a cyst in the maxillary sinus the cause of the pain?
Thank you.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.