Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Surgery or wait?
susanlcolombo posted:
My 5 year old sees a pediatric ENT once a year for a checkup and for any refills on her allergy meds Today when we visited the doctor noticed that her right tonsil is very large I had noticed that it was big a few months ago but thought that it was her allergies acting up again She never complains about it and says it isn't sore Last year her tonsils were at a 1 size Today her right tonsil was at a 4 The ENT is recommending that she have her tonsils and adenoids removed Should I go ahead and sign for the surgery or wait and see if they will resolve?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Get a second ENT opinion. Based on what you have shared, there may be no surgical reason to remove the tonsils and adenoids.

claudeviles replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Hey Dr Moser,

First I am sorry that I am posting a Tinnitus question here, but well I am new to the form so I didn't know how to contact you specifically and directly.

Anyways, first a little personal medical history first,
I am from Pakistan, Islamabad and had asthma as a child and then I went to another city( Lahore) in Pakistan( a bigger city from the one in which I lived to pursue my undergrad) it was quiet dusty yet surrounded by wheat fields. Anyways for the past five years that I lived in Lahore, I developed a seasonal allergy that occurred persistently in the month of may-April which is spring time ( sadly I couldn't afford moving away from the city as it was exam time) so in past five years my allergy exacerbated to a point where the last time I had it it, I though would pass out...oh the allergy caused severe congestion in respiratory tract with thick mucus so I took Ventolin inhaler for it, but it got pretty useless. Anyways this was back in first half of 2012 .
In Sept 2012, I moved to Canada to its city Regina in the province of Saskatchewan. Anyways all was fine and I persevered through the weather (-30tc to -45c) on average pretty well specially coming from Pakistan where the weather is usually in mid twenties. Anyways in the last week of February 2013. After walking in a cold night back home. I slept and woke up with a little to mild whistling in my left ear which wouldn't go away. I panicked like everybody who has tinnitus. Oh I should tell u that I do not exactly listen to loud music. Anyways I went to the doctor to get it checked and they checked my ear and said the ear drum was a bit inflamed and a little bit congestion in throat. I was feeling a bit of stuffiness and blockage in nasal and forehead area in the past few weeks before the incident but quiet mildly. Anyways, the doctor prescribed amoxillene for ten days( two pills a day) well ten days passed the sound didn't go away. however, in the last part of ten days. I felt increased stuffiness in the head area, a slight pain in the ears( both left and right), a bit of popping too and something really weird. In my right ear, I felt I dont know a perception of sound or actual sound but like a cricket chirping in my right ear as I would move, walk or be in a certain posture.It would stop when I would stop and concentrate or listen to it. Anyways, I went again to the same Doc who checked me. This time I had a slight fever, and my right ear drum was a bit inflamed and inflammation in right side. So the doctor prescribed me Azithromycin 250 mg for five days. Well I took this second round of antibiotics. Well the tinnitus in left remained but I sorta felt better in my right ear specially the stuffiness and pressure in forehead subsided as well as in the ears( a bit). So I thought I was coping fine when at the day after my second round ended. I went to university and did gym where I lifted a bit heavy weights and went to class. Anyways in the later half of the class something happened that scared me to death. I was sitting there listening to my prof when suddenly the tinnitus in my left year spiked suddenly to quiet a bit, it was loud. It was the most scary feeling ever but anyways after class ended I ran home. went to a quiet room and check where it had subsided to the previous level. But this actually got me paranoid as I already was having trouble sleeping with tinnitus and this scared me further. So today (two days from that day I went to the Doc, explained everything), she checked me and found that my ears were perfectly fine and gave the explanation that probably that there is some sort of fluid in my inner ear or something that moved which caused the spike. She also referred me to an ENT this time whose appointment I am waiting. My BP is normal and the blood tests and other test results are about to come. I am anxious but have quiet settled with the idea of tinnitus. Anyways sorry for such a long post. regards, what do you suggest?

Helpful Tips

EAR PROBLEMS
I have had a mild ear ache on and off and recently when I had a cold with runniynose, the ear began to hurt again. The outer ear was also ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.