Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Could throat problems be causing my neurological issues?
dawnw7 posted:
I know this is stretching a bit, but I want to explore a few more options before just giving up and accepting that there is no explanation for all of my symptoms.

I've had a ton of weird seemingly neurological symptoms for the past about 9 years. I used to have difficulty pronouncing words. My sense of taste just completely stopped working when I was 14. I have 24/7 headaches. I have a ton of cognitive issues that I never had until about 3 years about (difficulty concentrating, trouble recalling words, making a ton of typos when writing, awful memory, etc.). My right ear rings a lot. I have symptoms that seem like they might be seizure related like biting down repeatedly in my sleep and randomly smelling something burning. My hearing is awful. I get really dizzy and feel off-balanced a lot. The list goes on.

There is also this white spot on the right side of the back of my throat that flares up and gets really sore every couple of months or so. It's been giving me trouble since high school (I'm 23 now), but I was so much more afraid of all of the other issues I began having around that time that I just kind of ignored it...a sore throat isn't all that concerning when you're also having dizzy spells and trouble speaking without slurring your words or stuttering.

I recently read that throat issues can cause seizures, which is why I'm wondering if maybe the issues I have are related to the throat problems. Just curious if anyone knows if this may be the case. I'm guessing that it's not strep if I have some kind of infection (I really hope it's not oral cancer) because my GP recently did a strep culture that came back negative. She then sent a culture off to another lab to check for other things, and that came back negative too.

I've already been evaluated by neurologists, cardiologists, internists, GPs, chiropractors, you name it. Everything is coming back negative. A neuropsychologist recently wrote in my records that it's basically all in my head, but I know it's not.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.