Skip to content
Sudden onset of tinnitus and fullness with seemingly no other symptoms
Oozer3993 posted:
About two weeks ago, I woke up in the middle of the night with loud ringing in my ears, though louder in the left. The next couple days weren't so bad, but for the last week it's been extremely annoying. I don't have any dizziness, or ear pain, nor any hearing loss that I can detect. I do have some fullness in my ears. I was not on any medications when this started. I suffer from some sort of mild summer allergy and I seemingly always have a somewhat stuffy or runny nose. I'm a young man (27) and I've stayed away from loud noises my entire life. I never go clubbing, I rarely go to concerts, and I rarely listen to music with headphones. There was a small incident the day before this started, but that was just a half second of plugging my headphones into my computer with the volume up too loud. I saw my GP on Friday and he said my eardrums were bowed out and that I had signs of nasal drip in my throat. He thought the ringing could be due to pressure in my ear and prescribed Claritin-D and a nasal spray (Fluticasone Propionate). He also told me to schedule an appointment with an ENT, which I did, but I couldn't get one for 3 weeks with the ENT he recommended. The GP implied that the Claritin and nasal spray could alleviate the ringing in about a week. Does this diagnosis and course of treatment make sense? Should I try to see an ENT sooner? It's only been a couple days, but I haven't noticed any difference. I know it's a little soon to be questioning my doctor, but this has been extremely frustrating for me. I'm having significant difficulty sleeping. I'm getting maybe 5 hours of sleep a night, and that's in fits and starts. I've specifically avoided loud noise my entire life to try to avoid hearing issues as much as possible, only to have this happen when I'm in my twenties. Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.