Skip to content
Blocked Eustachian Tubes, Cannot have Myringotomy/Tympanoplasty
rosamhernandez posted:
Hello all, I have had middle ear issues since I was a child. I had my tonsils removed when I was two, had 5 more surgeries to instert ear tubes until I was 12. Needless to say, my hearing has never been "normal", I am the loud one in the group, have always been known in the family for being the "deaf one".

In the last 4 weeks I have experienced severe hearing loss as well and dizziness, vertigo, and extreme tinnitus. I "hear" everything twice, like I am in a cave or a small room, I hear the echo of what I am saying, almost like feedback. Due to this I have raging headaches all the time. My ENT has done a CT scan & a nasal endoscopy and has told me my eustachian tubes are blocked (fluid in there) BUT I am not a candidate for another set of ear tubes because my eardrums are too thin (from repeated surgeries) and there is risk that they will not heal and/or cannot bear the weight of the ear tube. His suggestion is that I get hearing aides and leave the fluid in the ears.

This is not a suggestion I am happy with since my vertigo/dizziness is very bad and the headaches are getting worse as the days go by. I would like to know if there is another way to get the fluid out of the Eustachian tubes that does not involve puncturing the eardrums?

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.