Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Ear pain that is NOT otitis media???
ReB62 posted:
My child has had ear pain, RIGHT ear, for about 1 week now since getting a cold and 1 cold sore on her lip. Saw Dr yesterday who removed hardened wax from right ear, but otherwise said both ears looked healthy, no signs of infection. She has no fever, no balance issues, otherwise seems ok (a little sniffly and has the 1 cold sore that is healing).

However, just tonight her LEFT ear hurt when she went to bed. What on earth is going on?!

She has also complained of buzzing in the ears at times (more frequently than I've ever had it.) She has 1 tube in RIGHT ear and left ear's tube felled out and eardrum scarred over (no longer a hole there).

ReB62 responded:
Good grief! "...fell out" (not "felled"). Sorry for typo.

ReB62 responded:
OK, since nobody seems to have an answer for me, I'll tell you what I think it is...childhood TMJ due to the location of pain (she points to jaw but calls it "ear pain") and the "popping" that she feels/hears when she opens her jaw. And today my child had ear pain in BOTH ears (first RIGHT, then LEFT, then a few hours later BOTH ears plus a headache). She rated pain a 6 or 7 on scale of 1-10. Not excruciating, but not "dull," either and not throbbing, but constant. It seemed to get worse as the day wore on and when the headache developed by suppertime.

A warm cloth to ears seemed to help a little, and I gave children's Tylenol at bed (though she swears it doesn't help w/pain--just helps her fall asleep. Hmm.) I can't put numbing or peroxide drops in because she has tubes.

Going to call her ENT tomorrow and see if we can get an emergency appt. Then it may be to the dentist re: possible TMJ.

Helpful Tips

EAR PROBLEMS
I have had a mild ear ache on and off and recently when I had a cold with runniynose, the ear began to hurt again. The outer ear was also ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.