Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
10 year old son has impacted wax
An_251356 posted:
My son complained of an earache, so I took him to the pediatrician. He's had a few ear infections in the past, but not for a long time. After he was examined, the doctor determined that he does not have an ear infection, but that he was a lot of hard wax in his ear. She attempted to remove it with a pick (something designed for this,) but it was incredibly painful, so she stopped. She then attempted to use a water syringe, but that did nothing (except maybe push the wax in further.)

For several days I gave him drops of Debrox, she tried again, nothing.

My son now never wants anyone to touch his ear again because of the pain. Also, he's had enough of the drops because he can't hear after I put them in.

The stuff has to come out. He does admit to pain every now and then and it's not like it's going to get better. I'm bringing him back to the doctor and want to know what to ask for. At this point, I feel like asking them to give him a baby xanax and dig the wax out. (I'm kidding about the baby xanax, but wish it was safe/possible!)

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Your son should not need to be sedated to remove a wax impaction, especially now that it has softened from the Debrox. The medical provider may still need to use a curette to remove the wax if the warm water lavage doesn't do it. I have never met a wax impaction that I couldn't remove, but one has to be very careful -- the ear canal is super-sensitive if you scratch it. You will need to mentallly prepare him, but no Xanax.

Not every medical provider is skilled at the fine art of wax removal, so you can always ask to see an expert (an ENT) to do this common task.

His hearing is likely compromised because the Debrox has softened the wax, which is good. It may come right out this time.

Stop letting him use Q-tips and don't you do it either. Q-tips are the main cause of wax impactions.

JPsMommie replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thanks! I've never used q-tips, we don't even have any in the house. I've always told him to keep his finger out of his ear because of germs, but can't say if he's not doing it anyway or using something else.

He has an appointment with an ent so in hoping that solved the problem.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Most People with a penicillin allergy can safely take cephalosporinsExpert
Medical providers have always been taught that if you are allergic to penicillin, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 61 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.