Skip to content
Left ear problem
hollycharlotte85 posted:
Hello,

I was wondering whether someone could give me some advice. I would be very grateful.

I have had trouble with my left ear for about ten years - my hearing is periodically muffled, and through the day I often have to yawn to make my ear pop so I can hear better. I also sometimes take decongestants and they seem to help.

I recently went to the doctors, and was told that there is hardened wax in my ear. I bought some Otex ear drops, and have been using them for four days. My ear had been feeling much better. However, I woke up this morning, and my left ear felt more blocked than ever. My hearing is muffled, and the middle of my ear is aching a little. Every time I swallow I can hear something in my left ear - a crackling kind of sound. I'm training as a speech therapist, so I understand a little about the anatomy of and ears/throat, but I am curious as to why I only hear the sound when I swallow on my left side?

I was wondering whether I should carry on using the drops? Or should I just stop them now and hope it gets better again?

Any help would be much appreciated; this has been going on for so long that it is driving me a bit mad.

Thank you,

Holly

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.