Skip to content
Head/neck trauma and its effects on the sinuses and ears
CountNomula posted:
Hello,

About 6 weeks ago (3/3/2013) I took a hard hit to the top of my head, with much of the force going down my neck and spine. I experienced normal concussion symptoms for a few weeks, which have mostly subsided. However, the day after hitting my head, I woke up with a pair of plugged ears. I didn't have pain or cold/allergy symptoms - just the plugged ears and some dizziness/headaches/difficulty reading and concentrating (which I attributed to the concussion).

My plugged ears subsided for a few days, and then came back again, and since then, I've been battling with them for about 5 weeks. Some days they are barely noticable, and some days they are in full force. Not much pain, but also having other sinus symptoms, such as some occasional slight pressure on the nose/forehead, some sinus clicking noises when speaking (ears/back of the nose 'popping' on hard consonant sounds), ear crackling when swallowing, noise sensitivity that comes and goes, and a sensation of liquid or mucus behind the nose (which is often unproductive). I've also been coughing up small amounts of whitish-yellow mucus for about 3 and a half weeks. I had a chest x-ray which showed no considerable infection.

I can *pop* them by opening my E. tubes (which I can do at will without yawning or swallowing), but they will repressurize over time, either imediately or in a few minutes. I find that my symtpoms dissipate at rest, particularly when laying down, and become more pronounced when standing, moving about, talking, or eating.

I went to an ENT who suspected CSF leakage - I have since had a CT and two MRIs with a neurosurgeon which have ruled that diagnosis out, based on the fact that he couldn't see any fluid in the scans, there was no skull fracture, and I don't have the classic symtpoms (debilitating headache, nose/ear fluid leaks).

I guess my question is - could the head trauma be connected to my ear issues? I haven't seen a chiropractor or had a neck x-ray, but my brain scans all came back looking fine. I am going back to see my ENT today to get the results of my sinus CT, which I am fearful will come back clean. The only other thing that I can think of is that about three weeks prior to my head injury, I had been doing lots of air travel (two cross-pacific flights and two continental flights in the US), but had no ear issues during the flights whatsoever.

Any help or input is appreciated.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.