Includes Expert Content
My babies have had a cold and fever for almost a week!
heatsquad1247 posted:
My 18 month old daughter and 4 year old son have had a cold and fever for over a week. The fever comes and goes, but the cough and runny nose is constant. Is this normal? It doesn't seem to be getting better, or worse for that matter but I am concerned. I have taken them to a pediatrician but he says they have a normal cold and prescribed amoxicilin. It doesn't seem to be working.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
It doesn't surprise me....amoxicillin is worthless for a viral infection. If your children truly have a "normal cold", I am puzzled that the pediatrician prescribed an antibiotic. Colds are viruses.

As much as I would like to help you and offer a second opinion, I do not have any way of examining your children or taking a more thorough medical history. You would need to see the doctor again, or a see a different doctor if you are concerned.

heatsquad1247 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank you for your reply! I took them to urgent care and found out that my son has an upper respiratory infection and my daughter has the same thing along with something called Rosenia(?) I believe that is what she called it..a few spots that resemble chicken pox..she prescribed benadryl for my daughter and dimetapp for my son. it seems to be working a little.