Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Strep throat with no symptoms? and a possible salivary gland infection...
WillFull posted:
I am 20, I have not been sick with a sore throat, or cold of any kind in about two to three years, and I just got a call saying my throat culture was pos. for strep. I had trouble eating sandwich for lunch (ate breakfast fine - 5/16/2013). When I ate the sandwich I had a tingling/burning pain below my ear, above and behind my jaw. First thought was a salivary gland infection. The area became inflamed shortly after I had lunch. I ate the next two meals (dinner and breakfast) and still had the burning sensation and inflamation. strangly breakfast (cereal-honey bunches of oats on 5/17/2013) did not bother me too much. But NaCl and simple CHO bothered me alot worse, (like a bite of candy bar and the ham on the sandwich). I went to the doctor (5/17/2013), a nursing practitioner checked me out and diagnosed me with four things: Pharyngitis, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat, sinusitis. Took a throat culture, and the rapid strep test was neg. I ate Lunch right before the doctor and I stil had pain in my parotid salivary gland region, but I did not care for I was starving and went through some deal of pain eating. I ate dinner later that evening and I tollerated all foods with hardly noticeable to no pain/burning/tingeling sensations. Now two days later the doctor calls and say I am pos. for strep throat...Is this a coinsedence? Am I just a carrier for strep? They perscribed me antibiotics, but could not answer my question on why I could not tollerate certain foods. I do not have anyother sx besides what I went to the doctor for. If I am a strep carrier what can happen from not taking the antibiotics.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.