Skip to content
Popping noise when soft palate raises
bensonburner posted:
Whenever I open my mouth there is always a popping/snapping/clicking kind of sound that happens at some point. It's very annoying and audible to others when in a quiet room. It also occurs when I exhale out of my mouth. Basically, whenever my soft palate raises. It sounds like it could be two surfaces pulling off one another. I definitely know it is not my TMJ making this sound but I wonder if it is related to the fact that I have been wearing a repositioning splint for about a year and so I have not closed my mouth completely in that long. As a result, I wonder if it could be that some surfaces aren't fully lubricated. Anybody have any ideas? Would appreciate whatever feedback you can give me.

poemzx responded:
Hey Im having very similar symptoms as you, and I also have a splint appliance from my orthodontist. Are you wearing it for TMJD? I have a stabilization splint covering all my upper teeth which im wearing because im supposed to have jaw surgery eventually. I started getting these clicks and pops 3 months after I got my splint. Its been a month since I started hearing these clicks and pops. Do you also hear them when you talk or burp for example? And do you ears ever make weird crackling sounds too? Sort of like the pressure is uneven in them?

Hope you see this

eurovoice replied to poemzx's response:
bensonburner and poemzx,

would be very interested to hear how this condition is progressing for you and whether you're finding some relief. please give an update (for the sake of all folks desperately searching the internet for those with similar conditions!)

owenh1 replied to poemzx's response:
I'm not sure if you have found the solution to your problem as of yet. But i believe that you may have a condition called Palatal Myoclonus. Which is involuntary muscle spasms of the soft palate. Have a search for it. Unfortunately, very little is known about this condition and there is very little research done in how to relieve the symptoms. Hope your feeling better.

Helpful Tips

Most People with a penicillin allergy can safely take cephalosporinsExpert
Medical providers have always been taught that if you are allergic to penicillin, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 61 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.